Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2018

All Things New

The new girl in the office. That was what I am. That was the reason why whispers could be heard behind my back. The veterans in the workplace cover their mouths with their hands and talk with hushed voices whenever I was around.

The new girl in town. That's me! With even softer voices, whispers have been heard about the place I rented a mile away from the main road. The house was a little run-down. Yet I loved the porch, the porch swing and the fact that a wooded area protected the back of the humble abode.

The whispers were mainly about the woods. Indescribable creatures were said to dwell there. I haven't had the time to explore it yet. I started work just three days after I moved in. There were many boxes to be unpacked. Good thing the next day was Saturday. The office will be closed.


My back ached from sitting on the floor. I stood and stretched. Then, I went to the kitchen to get a glass of water. I looked out the window and thought how inviting the forest looked. It would be great to stretch my legs, so I laced up my sneakers and tied my hair in a ponytail.

I could tell I entered the woods with the sudden change in grass density. I supposed no one comes here regularly, since there was no path. Rough and irregularly shaped rocks littered around each tall tree. I had to crane my neck and lean back my spine to glimpse the crowns of the trees. The very tops of some trees were yellow, some were brown, and some were almost black; but all the trunks were the same Aspen tree color. Weird. Shrugging, I walked on.

A couple of minutes passed before I felt a pebble hit the back of my thigh. I looked behind me and saw no one. Maybe I kicked it up while walking. I took another step and heard dried leaves crunch to my right. Panic bubbled in my chest as I picked up my pace. The other set of steps quickened, too. I ran but some random rock tripped me and my knee hit a big, rough stone. I howled in pain while clutching my leg. I felt warm blood and saw my kneecap through open flesh.

OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! OMG! OMG! OMG!

I slowly stood up and tried to take a step forward. Then, I stumbled. I was lightheaded, thus, I fell back down on the grass in a fetal position. Through my increasingly blurry vision, I could see the blood slowly oozing out of my deep, deep wound. Gradually, the red turned to white... Must be the plasma...?

How soft and inviting the grass, my last thought as I blacked out.

I am sure that I died. Is this heaven?

The sun was shining cheerfully, but it's not too hot. Above me, the sky was a charming blue. Sounds of chirping birds surrounded me. I am sure I'm still outside. Slightly, I turned my head, and I saw my new (to me!) house. I couldn't wait to lie down on my bed!

Strange. My wound didn't seem to hurt anymore. I looked down at my legs and oh! Leg. An Aspen leg. I shook what I assumed to be my head and saw leaves flutter around me. Auburn leaves, the same color as my hair.

A bird squawked and flew into the distance.

Well, this is new, I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment